Tune into Decades' new series 'Decades Presents: 1968'
1968 was one of the most tumultuous years in American history. There was tragedy and great innovation, events that seemed to have torn the country apart and events that brought it together. What better way to spend 2018 than remembering the year half a century prior, that changed the course of history?
This year, we’ll ring in each month with a new installment of our new series, Decades Presents: 1968. Each hour-long documentary will dive into a different part of the culture of 1968, from movies, music and TV to fashion and politics. With interviews and clips from CBS News, it’ll feel like a step back in time. The programming surrounding the documentaries will also play into each episode's theme, featuring classic TV and movies.
The first episode, "A Year of Strife" will premiere at 7pm ET on January 1, with encore presentations throughout the month:
- January 1 at 7pm ET
- January 10 at 9pm ET
- January 18 at 8pm ET
- January 23 at 11pm ET
- January 31 at 8pm ET
"A Year of Strife" will feature guests such as Jeff Greenfield, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Dr. Harry Edwards, Abe Peck, Mark Bowden, Bill Ayers, Bernardine Dohrn, Flint Taylor and Frances “Poppy” Northcutt.
The schedule for the first six months of the year of the year consists of:
- February: "The Music," featuring singer and Broadway star Melba Moore; Tommy James of Tommy James and the Shondells; Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary; music critic Wayne Robins; radio personality Terri Hemmert and journalist Susan Whitehall.
- March: "The Year of the Woman," featuring Muriel Fox, co-founder of the National Organization for Women; Ellie Smeal, president and co-founder of the Feminist Majority Foundation; professor and former Black Panther, Kathleen Cleaver and Vietnam War nurse Diane Evans. The episode will air 3/5 at 9pm, 3/16 at 10pm, 3/24 at 9am and 3/28 at 12am.
- April: "The Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.," featuring activist, professor and historian, Timuel Black; Congressman Bobby Rush and WVON radio talk show host Cliff Kelley.
- May: "The Game Changer," a look into a revolutionary year in athletics, featuring sports journalist Lesley Visser; author and civil rights activist Dr. Harry Edwards and Muhammad Ali’s former spouse, Khalilah Ali.
- June: "RFK," a look at Robert F. Kennedy, featuring political commentator Chris Matthews; journalist and former RFK speechwriter Jeff Greenfield; Juan Romero, the man who held RFK after his assassination; and authors Larry Tye and Michael Cohen.
Stay tuned for more programming info later in the year, when Decades Presents: 1968 delves into the worlds of transportation, film, music, television, fads, politics and more.